Saturday, November 7, 2009

How's All That "Hearts & Minds" Stuff Working, Fellas?

Via "The Beeb."
At least eight members of the Afghan security forces have been killed in a Nato air strike, the Afghan defence ministry says.

The incident occurred in north-western Badghis province on Friday, as Afghan and US forces searched for two missing American soldiers.

The patrol came under rebel attack and reportedly called for air support.
Nato has acknowledged the Afghan deaths and says it is investigating whether they were caused by the air strike.

The Afghan defence ministry said a base housing coalition troops and Afghan security forces was mistakenly hit.

'Important mission'

Ministry spokesman Gen Zaher Azimy said on Saturday: "Yesterday, in a Nato air strike, seven Afghan (soldiers and police) were martyred in Badghis province."
Later a spokesperson for the Nato force, US Navy Capt Jane Campbell, said: "We are saddened by the loss of life and injuries sustained during this very important mission."

Those killed include four Afghan soldiers and three policemen, and another person believed to have been an interpreter.

Five Americans and 18 Afghans were wounded in the incident.

It comes days after an Afghan policeman killed five British troops in Helmand province, who the soldiers had been training.

1 comment:

Dusty said...

And word is that The Big O is getting ready to deploy 38 thousand more Americans..