The DoJ released the IG's report (pdf) on "abuses" to detainees, yesterday. At Obsidian Wings, Publius supplied a handy precis:
The highlights include: (1) mock executions;Nobody who exerted supervisory authority--nobody above the rank of stooge, that is--will EVER be held to "account" for ANY of it.
(2) threatened rape of family members;
(3) threatened murder of children;
(4) kicking and beating a detainee with a metal flashlight to death;
(5) threatening naked hooded detainees with power drills;
(6) blowing cigar smoke in detainees' faces until they got sick;
(7) waterboarding with massive volumes of water far beyond what OLC authorized (to make it "poignant");
(8) stress positions that nearly caused shoulder dislocations;
(9) scraping detainees with stiff brushes;
(10) choking a detainee with one's bare hands until they nearly pass out;
(11) subjecting detainees to extremely cold temperatures and water dousing;
(12) "hard takedowns" (sometimes in diapers); and
(13) beating detainees with butts of rifles (followed by kicking them).
"We've got to look forward, not back."