Which is too bad, because NPD pretty perfectly encapsulates the mass psychoses which seem exclusively to motivate the deluded followers of Palin, the yobs on "Fox News" their faithful acolytes, and the rest of the grifters who have taken over the GOP.
Tell me this doesn't sound EXACTLY like EVERY T-hadist you ever encountered:
- Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
- Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
- Believes that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions).
- Rarely acknowledges mistakes and/or imperfections
- Requires excessive admiration
- Has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
- Is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
- Lacks empathy: is unwilling or unable to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others.
- Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
- Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitude.
Really! Exactly! And in DSM IV, you needed only to match any four 'symptoms' to the patient to have a diagnosis. Most of the T-hadists I ever encountered, and those most prominently displayed on TV, present with the whole, complete array of 'em.